Beauty and the beast

Today I finally show two garments I mentioned before. The first one is a dress for my mum. It’s always difficult for her to find nice clothes in stores because she is tiny (She is actually smaller than me … just 1.46m, about 4.8 feet …). I made her a wrap dress from the Hope Dress Pattern (It’s FREE!). For the sleeves and the collar I used a jersey that’s almost like lace. I thought it might be hard to work with … but it wasn’t. The slinky off-white jersey I used for the rest of the dress gave me a hard time. I used it in two layers to reduce transparency. She plans to wear it to a beach wedding so we bought a necklace with pearls and seashells and matching sandals.

wrap dress white wrap dress white
From the leftover fabric I made her a matching bag. For the lining I used some plain cotton. It had to be a non-stretchy fabric to make the bag stable.

bag from jersey and cotton
That was the beauty. And now to the beast … I mentioned this nightmare of a shirt in my last post. I used the Hot Cocoa Sweater by Dixie DIY  (it’s FREE too 🙂 ) as a base. It was in no way the fault of the pattern that it didn’t turn out very well … it were my decisions and alterations … First I decided to make it tighter, since she described it as quite roomy. That was no bad decision … but using a non-stretchy rayon for the sleeves was one … it just didn’t work. But I hadn’t enough of the olive green  jersey to make sleeves from it. That’s why I wanted to make the sleeves half olive green and half dark blue. So why not make a fancy border between them (well, maybe because it’s hard to sew … but that’s what I knew afterwards). And why not making it even harder by adding zippers to the sleeves … The original collar looked a bit odd, when it was broken by the zippers. So I decided to turn it inside and topstitch it. That looked way better but then the neckline stood away from the neck … I reworked the front part of the neckline and now it’s okay … as long as I stand still and straight … once I start to move everything gets out of place again. So I have a new shirt to wear at home 🙂 The photos show the shirt on my selfmade dressform. I made it myself because there aren’t many skinny dwarf dress forms out there.

olive green and blue raglan sleeve shirtolive green and blue raglan sleeve shirtolive green and blue raglan sleeve shirt

Tomorrow is the first day of Me-Made-May!!! I’m excited … hope to make it through the full month …

Advertisements

Filling other people’s closets

It’s not like there was nothing happening on my sewing table lately…I just didn’t find time to write about it. In order to increase my blogging frequency I will join the ‘MeMadeMay2013’. I hope I have enough wearable me-made garments in my closet yet.
Most of the items I sewed in the last weeks were for other people. Well, I made myself a shirt out of jersey remnants…I learned a lot from it…but I don’t have a wearable shirt in the end. Maybe I will be brave enough to post it next time, once I fixed the neckline…
I planned to sew a dress for my mum to wear to a wedding. I even made a muslin and bought the fabric. But then the dresscode for the wedding was revealed and we had to start over again. I’ll post the dress soon. I just have to finish the matching bag.
My colleague asked me, if I could sew her a long dress for summer. She had two similar dresses that started to fall apart because she wore them a lot. I bought some very nice rayon for this dress. I was very pleased when I managed to transfer her measurements into a pattern for the dress. But soon I realised that there wasn’t enough fabric for the lining. I had some similar rayon in my stash. But it had a quite dark lavender colour. So my dear friend bleach was back in the game again. The colour changed to a soft pink that was light enough to not shine through the pale rayon of the dress.

detail of the lining
soft pink lining
lining of the dress
lining finished with a tiny hem

The dress fit her perfect. We just had to adjust the length. (I couldn’t test the length on myself, because even with my highest shoes I’m not as tall as the average german woman)

easy summer dress
ready for summer!

Because there wasn’t any sign of summer and I didn’t have any measurements I opted for the approved hi-low shirt when I planned a birthday present for another friend. I know that she likes stars ( at least I think so, because she has one tattooed in a very prominent place) I divided the pattern in different pieces and added a pocket again. I put some paper stars on one piece an sprinkled it with fabric paint (no bleach this time… I tested it, of course…but it didn’t work the way I want it). As always I would have kept it for myself if she didn’t like it…

hi-low shirt the fifth
Hi-low shirt number five

hi-low shirt with pocket
Stash busting in it’s nicest form

I hope to give you something new to read and see quite soon!!!